TRANSLATE THIS PAGE

Monday, March 1, 2010

on the road again

Just like that great 70's country song says i'm on the road again, i have no idea where my travels will take me apart from a stop at Totnes. I started at one of my frequent watering holes The London Inn in Torquay where i had to gulp down (i had ten minutes before the bus came) a pint of Dark Ness from the Red Rock brewery, this dark ale is made from a mix of pale, crystal and black malts, flaked and roasted barley with a blend of hops for a mouth fillingly smooth beer, which was awarded first place in the dark beers section of the 2007 South Devon CAMRA beer festival. My only complaint was that i had to rush it. I'm now seated on a stage coach bus heading towards Totnes (a great way to get around the pubs of Devon, a day explorer ticket costs only £6.50 and you can get on and off any bus (as long as it's a stage coach bus)within Devon for the rest of the day. Next stop Totnes in about 30 mins time.


14.00 HALFWAY TO EXETER
OK now back on a bus on enroute to Exeter my stop in Totnes afforded me time to pay a quick visit to the Royal Seven Stars Hotel, with 4 ales on offer (Dartmoor Jail Ale,Bays Gold, Sharpes Doombar and i think it was Pedigree, my view didnt get past the Doombar or Jail pumps) i was slightly spoilt for choice but opted for the Doom a beer i know well and enjoy but was slightly taken aback by the £3.10 charge, but i ppose it is a hotel not a regular pub, next stop Exeter and probably one of the Wetherspoons bars for a beer and burger.

16.06 Exeter - The Georges Meeting Rooms
For the second time in less than a week i find myself in the city of Exeter and the Georges Meeting Rooms, this is my second stop in Exeter today, the first being The Chavalier (sadly their wifi isn't working so i had to wait till i got here to post) where i dinned on a gormet beefburger washed down with a pint of Spring Beer from the Wetherspoons Devon Beer festival. Brewed by the Exe Valley brewery using their own spring water it's a golden-yellowed coloured bitter with a malty, hoppy taste and sweetish finish.
My choice of ale here at the Georges is also from the Spoons festival and is called Guzzale, out of the Summerskills brewery in Plymouth. This is a light brown bitter with an enticing aroma, well balanced flavour with hoppy undertones developing into a pleasing toffee finish. So where to from here well it's back to the bus station to see what bus is in.

Tues 2 March
Well apologies to all who were following this blog after leaving Exeter i headed towards my brothers stopping off at a few watering holes along the way and ending up at the Kings Arms where my brother joined me and we consumed a few (cough, cough) more beers before returning to my brothers slightly inebriated. Ihad made notes on my phone of pubs visited and beers drunk but unfortunately my battery has died, i will update them when i get home and have charged my battery.

2 comments:

  1. £3.10 for Doom in Devon, there's no hope of it being cheaper up in Yorkshire then is there?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was in a hotel i think the average pub price is around £2.40 to £2.60 so not too bad

    ReplyDelete